Pondicherry, ‘The Paris Of South’ is one of the most quite and popular place in India. It is also known as India’s ‘Little France’. This paradise got a beautiful countryside which will surely get all of you mesmerized. This place is worth a visit, not only for its serene beauty but it has an amazing culture which will surely bring an immediate peace of mind.
So before you visit this place you must know some facts. So sharing few interesting facts with all of you,
- In 1962, Pondicherry was declared as Union Territory. French handed over this place to India in the year 1954.
- The name Pondicherry changed on 20th September, 2006 as Puducherry.
- Geographically Puducherry consists of four isolated districts. They are, Puducherry, Karaikal, Yanam and Mahe.
- Puducherry celebrates Independence Day on 16th August.
- This Place is famous for Sri Aurobindo Ashram, also they have an Institution called Sri Aurobindo International Centre Of Education. This Ashram is different and unique, a place where you will surely find peace.
- Another famous place is Matrimandir, which is situated at the centre of Auroville. This place do not have any particular religion. This spiritual place is open for all who wish to follow the path of spirituality sincerely.
- You will find the best bakeries here. Still the french influence is clearly reflected in this place. Most restaurants will offer you with delicious and authentic french food. Local Indian dishes are also tasty and healthy too.
- From year 1948 to 1954, Madras was the former capital to Puducherry.
- Out of all the seven Union Territories, Puducherry has it’s own elected Chief Minister and Legislature.
These are some not so known facts about Puducherry. This place has such more interesting facts which should be revealed once you reach here. This historical place has a beauty of it’s own and also this is a place where one can happily spend some quality time quietly. This is a must visit place for all the travel-lovers.
Author: Aurosish Chakraborty
” You have only two ways to survive in this world. Conquer or get Conquered.”
Interested towards writing, a movie buff & aspiring to be a Philosopher.
Sports Person, Dreamer, Foodie