“I don’t spend much time looking back at what happened. I do remember it, but I don’t see any purpose of wanting to look back.” – Amitabh Bachchan
The Big B of Bollywood, The angry young man, A versatile actor and consider to be one of the best in world cinema, He is none other than Shri Amitabh Bachchan. This legendary actor has a long lasting relationship with Kolkata. Get ready to know some interesting facts about him when he was staying in Kolkata.
- Not many know that his first ever job was in Kolkata in 1962 where he worked in coal mines for 7-8 years.
- He lived with eight friends in a one-room studio apartment.
- He used to get salary of 480/Month. From which around 350 Rs used to go for bed and lodging.
- He used to have worth two Rs pani puri, opposite of Victoria Memorial for dinner.
- Not many people know, Amitji used to hang out with one of the legend of Bengali cinema Robi Ghosh.
- ‘Do Anjaane’ and ‘Yaarana’, parts of both films were shot in Kolkata (Calcutta)
- He is Called as Bengal’s Jamaibabu, the reason behind is he was married to Jaya Bhaduri(Now known as Jaya Bachchan)
- In calcutta he had gone for an audition and his voice was rejected in All India Radio.
These not so known facts will make you more eager to know more about him and his connection with Kolkata. There are several such stories which will surely get you nostalgic. The circle of life is interesting, one can never know what can happen in the next moment. In his long running career, time and now he has always mentioned about his connection with ‘The City Of Joy’.
Author: Aurosish Chakraborty
” You have only two ways to survive in this world. Conquer or get Conquered.”
Interested towards writing, a movie buff & aspiring to be a Philosopher.
Sports Person, Dreamer, Foodie