Dengue is no longer restricted to the fringes of the city. It has spread its tentacles to south and central Kolkata. KMC ( Kolkata Municipality Corporation) admitted the dengue spread has left them worried. A 7-year old boy died after suffering from dengue shock syndrome is the first confirmed Dengue death in town.
KMC admitted the dengue spread has left them worried. “So far, dengue had been restricted to the fringes. But over the last one month, it has spread to new areas like Jadavpur, parts of Tollygunge, Jodhpur Park, Anwar Shah Road, College Street and Surya Sen Street. We have seen a 20% spurt in these areas,” the official said.
Since 2012, when more than 100 succumbed to dengue in Kolkata, the disease has taken the same route. It originates in Dum Dum and spreads along EM Bypass, eventually penetrating south and central Kolkata. The pattern has not changed this year as well, this year Dengue has spread much slower.
Heavy showers leaving extensive areas full with frowzy water — an ideal breeding ground for the virus-carrying aedes aegypti — the relatively dry and humid days this week will help larvae multiply.
Symptoms of Dengue:
- Dengue (pronounced daen-gay) is a Viral disease that comes from mosquito-borne. Talking about its symptoms, Typically people infected with dengue virus are asymptomatic (80%) and only only 5 per cent have severe illness.
- Early signs of dengue is high fever, headache, joint pains, nausea, vomiting, appetite loss, dip in blood pressure and skin rash. Though the fever doesn’t last beyond a week mostly, but some cases may develop more critical and pose life threatening danger.
- Doctor says, one may experience a rapid drop in temperature and intense sweating occurs. Rashers are rarely occurs on the face. Actual problem comes when dengue develops into a life threatening disease is referred to as Dengue Shock Syndrome or Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever.
- The former is characterized by Hemorrhage (severe bleeding), blood plasma leakage, and an exceptionally low platelet count. While, the latter occurs due to dangerously low blood pressure, which may lead to a circulatory collapse (shock).
Dengue prohibition plan:
- Dengue virus is mostly active in the early in the morning and later in the afternoon.
- Tropical and sub-tropical areas are more prone to dengue outbreaks. Travelers from and across such regions can also carry the disease.
- Reduction of number of mosquitoes by improved water storage, proper waste disposal, and checking water stagnancy.
- Instead of wearing tight & dark cloths wear white, loose & long clothes to cover the whole body. Mosquitoes are attracted to dark colors the most. It is very difficult for mosquitoes to bite through loose clothes than tight fitting clothes.
- Doctor believes that Proper tests should be run to check the infection for any fever during rainy season.
- There is no specific treatment for Dengue.
- Though the fever that lasts beyond 7 days usually is not Dengue.
- Diagnosis of this dengue is not difficult, a blood test can tell whether the person is affected or not. But what remains a concern is that more often than not, people can brush aside the symptoms of dengue as a less dangerous viral fever. So even if you have any doubt, do not hesitate to go for the test.
From 2014 till 2017 these many people were effected by Dengue. This data is not for comparing how many people died or how many people got effected by this disease, but to make all of you aware of the present situation. This is not a competition, the sooner we can stop this disaster, it is better for the society. So just be aware and don’t panic and remain safe.
Do not get scared of Dengue,it can be controlled. We being the citizen of Kolkata, we have to be aware of the present situation and have to take immediate action. The faster you take a positive action,the earlier you get a positive reaction. If you are not aware of this situation right now then you can be a part of the history.
Author: Anindita Ghosh
Daughter. Women. Loves to travel. A passionate blogger by heart. Travel Enthusiasts. Passionate about singing. Can laugh on a simple jokes but easily gets hurt in simple way.