“The best way to get away from a crisis and yet hold on the reins without performance is to find a godfather who would save you at crisis and fool the entire world…This is how it has worked for me”
‘Prince of Calcutta’ this name is an emotion for all Bengalis. An excellent sports person with a humble personality, a mixture of calmness and controlled aggression made this man a great leader. Keeping aside all the arguments, we can all accept the positive influence he had in Indian Cricket on field as well as off the field. After retiring from active cricket, he continued to serve for the Indian Cricket off the field. A person of this eminence is none other than our Dada, Sourav Ganguly.
In this article I am going to share some unknown or some less known facts about ‘Prince of Calcutta’, A known man with some not so known facts
- Dada was naturally right-handed, but at a young age he became a left-handed batsman so that he could use his elder brother’s, (Snehasish)cricket equipment.
- When Dada was a kid, he was called as ‘Maharaja’ by his parents
- His first love was football
- He is only the third batsman to score a century on Test debut at Lord’s.
- The carrier of dada started when he replaced his elder borther in a Ranji match for bengal in year 1989/90
- Dada was scared to sleep alone at night, an incident took place at night in MRF Pace Academy in Chennai. Sachin Tendulkar was his roomate at that time but Ganguly could not sleep because Sachin had a habit of sleepwalking.
- In year 2002, the Wisden Cricket Association ranked him the sixth greatest ODI batsman of all time, He was the second Indian in the list, first being Sachin Tendulkar.
- His Test batting average never went below 40.
- He is one of the five players in the world who have achieved the threefold record of 10,000 runs, 100 wickets and 100 catches in ODI cricket.
- In 1992 after getting dropped from the Indian team, dada got a personal bowling machine in his house to practice batting.
This man did change the atmosphere of Indian Cricket, played the sport fairly with controlled aggression. The world cricket respect him and love him for his contribution towards this sport. A person who re-defined the definition of leadership.
Presently he is working as a Mentor for Delhi Capitals in IPL.
These are some few facts about the Maharaja, in the next article will come back with some more interesting facts about this formidable leader.
Author: Aurosish Chakraborty
” You have only two ways to survive in this world. Conquer or get Conquered.”
Interested towards writing, a movie buff & aspiring to be a Philosopher.
Sports Person, Dreamer, Foodie